TERM ENROLMENT 2018 FULLY BOOKED
JOIN THE WAITING LIST BY COMPLETING THE SIGNUP FORM BELOW
New student enrolments occasionally open up throughout the year. If you'd like to be added to the waiting list for regular weekly or fortnightly term enrolment simply complete the form below and you'll automatically be added to the list.
Before you sign up you should check out a few things and decide if Rachael is the teacher for you.
- Scroll down the page for more information about TRAINING YOUR VOICE, WHAT TO EXPECT and some handy VOCAL TIPS.
- Click the hyperlinks to check out the most up-to-date TERMS & CONDITIONS and FEES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS.
- If you're looking for irregular, ad hoc lessons, a vocal assessment or a Skype session, you can view Rachael's upcoming availability and book online HERE
STUDENT SIGN UP FORM
VOCAL WARRIOR - BOOTCAMP FOR YOUR VOICE (2018 - FIRST EDITION)
You've finally made the decision to commit to serious vocal training, checked out my site and decided I'm the right teacher for you... but, oh no, I'm fully booked!
You have three options:
TRAIN YOUR VOICE
Students are guided through (as required) -
- vocal anatomy and function
- breathe management and flow
- correct postural alignment
- functional freedom
- music theory
- functional piano
- aural training
- stagecraft and artistry
- microphone technique, live sound fundamentals and equipment advice
Specialist consultants commonly required for vocalists include;
- GP - medical doctor
- Ear Nose & Throat Specialist
- Speech Pathologist
In the private studio and in schools and colleges around Canberra Rachael's students range from young, developing singers to professional adult singers, wishing to refine their technique or address specific concerns preventing them from reaching their full vocal potential, in a healthy and sustainable manner.
Rachael is available to conduct workshops, masterclasses, Skype sessions for professional singers and guest teaching residencies.
VOCAL COACHING - Rachael offers one-off or short-term coaching (subject to availability) for serious/professional singers who are;
- preparing for an audition
- preparing for a competition
- preparing for exams
- overcoming a technical issue
- seeking a voice appraisal
- recording artists seeking in-studio coaching/support
WHAT TO EXPECT
Do you want to spend your hard-earned dollars on a 60 minute note-bashing session?
Do you want to learn 40 new songs a term?
Are you looking for compliments rather than constructive feedback and solutions?
If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, Rachael is probably not the teacher for you...
In your first lesson Rachael will assess your voice, breathing, posture, range and any perceived deficits or vocal problems and explain what's going wrong, why and the recommended approach and plan to get you on track. Rachael will listen to your concerns and goals and work out a plan to get you to where you want to be. How quickly you get there largely depends on you. If you follow the plan, keep Rachael in the loop with any concerns or breakthroughs you may experience in your practice or performance, and maintain a regular and consistent practice routine you will see results!
For clients attending lessons on a weekly basis your sessions will follow a weekly rotating focus. Week A will be devoted to pure technique and Week B will be more repertoire focussed, coaching you through assimilating your technique with songs and introducing expression, interpretation, improvisation, phrasing and other aspects of performance and artistry. A more flexible approach can be applied to fortnightly and ad hoc clients.
So, if you are ready to understand how your voice actually works, develop a strong technical foundation and a safe place to land that will allow you better access to all your creative ideas. If you want to have more control, more strength, a more flexibile and agile voice that will go the distance, Rachael is the teacher for you.
Joining Rachael's studio means that you also join an ever-expanding supportive community of singers (through Rachael's private Facebook group and other exciting virtual tools and masterclasses/workshops currently in development) from all walks of life, ages, and levels of experience that love singing as much as you do.
- Keep your voice box well hydrated - frequent sips of water throughout the day.
- Eliminate excessive throat clearing or coughing. Swallow instead.
- Avoid prolonged periods of loud talking, screaming, shouting and strange noises.
- Do not use a forced whisper and regularly monitor the quality of your speaking voice.
- Avoid using your voice continuously for long periods of time. Program "voice naps" into your day.
- Do not smoke. Avoid other people's smoke. Avoid recreational drugs.
- Establish a routine of warming up and cooling down your voice.
- Limit talking in noisy places like discos, cars, crowded restaurants.
- Limit the amount of talking/singing during colds or laryngitis.
- Try breathing through your nose during normal 'passive' breathing, especially if you work in dry/dusty areas.
- When performing with amplified musicians use a good PA and monitor speakers or 'in-ear' monitors for foldback.
- Maintain overall good health. Eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep and ensure regular exercise.
- Try to reduce stress. Be happy and laugh a lot!
- Seek help from a specialist voice clinic such as Voice Connection if experiencing problems such as hoarseness, vocal fatigue or strain, breathiness, throat pain, the need for a prolonged warm-up or reflux.
Individual Vocal Tuition - Private Studio, CASEY & ANU School of Music Peter Karmel Building
- Weekly lessons: 60 mins
- Fortnightly lessons: 60 mins
- Ad-Hoc lessons: 60 and 90 mins
- Skype lessons: 60 and 90 mins
- Recording Studio Vocal Coaching
- ANU School of Music Performance Teaching Fellow (Tertiary and Pre-Tertiary Voice Majors)
- Follow Rachael's Blog (subscribe by visiting the BLOG page on this website) for regular vocal tips and voice-related articles.
Group Seminars & Masterclasses
- Full day or half day sessions
- Vocal Anatomy & Physiology
- Breathing, Support, & Alignment
- Performance Practice Masterclass
Song Transposition and Chart Writing for Vocalists
- Sibelius and PDF files