Rachael is a passionate teacher delivering a considered mix of vocal pedagogy, performance techniques, music theory, improvisation techniques and music business fundamentals. Her voice training philosophy spans the teachings of Janice Chapman, Accent Method Breathing, Estill Voice Training Method, Bel Canto and is guided by current findings in voice science.
Students are guided through (as required) -
- vocal anatomy and function
- breath management and flow
- optimising postural alignment
- style coaching
- improvisation/creative interpretation
- music theory
- functional piano
- aural training
- stagecraft and artistry
- microphone technique, live sound fundamentals and equipment advice
Rachael is a curious and motivated educator, determined to remain informed and well-versed in current scholarly and scientific research related to the voice. Rachael currently refers students with a perceived issue or deficit to consult with the appropriate specialist.
Specialist consultants commonly required for vocalists include;
- GP - medical doctor
- Ear Nose & Throat Specialist
- Speech Pathologist
- Remedial Massage Therapist
Rachael offers one-off or short-term coaching/tuition (subject to availability) for serious/professional singers who are;
- preparing for an audition
- preparing for a competition
- preparing for exams
- overcoming a technical issue
- seeking a voice appraisal
- recording artists seeking in-studio coaching/support
RACHAEL IS AN ACADEMIC AT THE ANU SCHOOL OF MUSIC, AND AS SUCH, HAS LIMITED AVAILABILITY TO TAKE ON PRIVATE CLIENTS. REGISTER YOUR INTEREST FOR LESSONS HERE.
INDIVIDUAL VOCAL COACHING/TUITION
- Ad-Hoc lessons: 60 and 90 mins (ONLINE ONLY)
- Recording Studio Vocal Coaching
- Video/Audio recording assessment
- Register your interest for lessons/coaching/consultation/assessment HERE.
GROUP SEMINARS | MASTERCLASSES | CLINICS
- Vocal Anatomy & Physiology
- Breathing, Support, & Alignment
- Performance Practice Masterclass
- Professional Development for Voice Teachers and Vocal Coaches
- Use the CONTACT form to enquire
VOCAL WARRIOR - BOOTCAMP FOR YOUR VOICE (FIRST EDITION OUT NOW)
- A collection of vocal warm-ups and technical exercises with an accompanying handbook and MP3 backing tracks
- Male and Female voice versions available
- Visit the STORE to download
SONG TRANSPOSITION AND CHART WRITING FOR VOCALISTS
- Professionally presented Sibelius and PDF scores for your gig book
- Use the CONTACT form to enquire
VOCAL HEALTH TIPS
- Keep your voice box well-hydrated - frequent sips of water throughout the day.
- Eliminate excessive throat clearing or coughing. Swallow instead.
- Avoid prolonged periods of loud talking, screaming, shouting and strange noises.
- Do not use a forced whisper and regularly monitor the quality of your speaking voice.
- Avoid using your voice continuously for long periods of time. Program "voice naps" into your day.
- Do not smoke. Avoid other people's smoke. Avoid recreational drugs.
- Establish a routine of warming up and cooling down your voice.
- Limit talking in noisy places like discos, cars, crowded restaurants.
- Limit the amount of talking/singing during colds or laryngitis.
- Try breathing through your nose during normal 'passive' breathing, especially if you work in dry/dusty areas.
- When performing with amplified musicians use a good PA and fold back speakers or 'in-ear' monitors.
- Maintain overall good health. Eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep and ensure regular exercise.
- Try to reduce stress. Be happy and laugh a lot!
- Seek help from a specialist voice clinic such as Voice Connection if experiencing problems such as hoarseness, vocal fatigue or strain, breathiness, throat pain, the need for a prolonged warm-up or reflux.